Thursday, August 23, 2007

Week 9, Thing 23: Summarize

Exposure can be a good thing. That is the big discovery that I am taking away from the 23 Things Experience. There were many sites I would never have visited if it hadn’t been for this. However, having at least heard about some of these sites has been good. While looking for some information about a local apartment complex for instance, I came across a posting which referred to Technorati. Earlier this summer I wouldn’t have know what this was.

You never know when you are going to use some of this technology. On a recent trip my daughter took, she posted pictures daily which could be picked up with an RSS feed. She had a brand new computer and she wanted to play with some of the new bells and whistles. It was fun to see what they had done and where they had gone that day. However, depending of which brand of RSS feed you used, you got different pictures. Using Bloglines, I never saw the last 60 pictures. Maybe there was a limit on the number of picture they would post but I never found that information. What had started out to be an exciting experience and a chance to use new knowledge ended up being very frustrating for me.

Although clutter in my life doesn’t bother me too much, I really don’t like making all the accounts and having so many logins and passwords. I’m not sure how to avoid this but sometimes I wonder if it is really worth digging out the login and password to go to a particular site.

If another program like this were offered, I would sign up. As I said, exposure can be a good thing!

No comments: